Grand Rapids Women's History Council Collection
(Coll. No. 167)
- Andre, Betty Ladd: 1996, Background on the development of the Ladd building enterprise. HUD Woman of the Year Award 1994. Speech given by daughter. Transcript.
- Apted, Virginia Peck: 1990, life in Grand Rapids, Heritage Hill area. Transcript.
- Bickey, Alice: 1989, Voigt House Museum, Oval office in Gerald R. Ford Museum, Transcript.
- Blaich, Jan 1995: Start up in G.R. Arts Council and Festival. Director of the Women's Resource Center. Speechwriter of "white papers" for the European Commission while living in the Netherlands. Transcript.
- Blandford, Sue: 1989, Youth in Grand Rapids during the 1930s, treasurer and office manager of Blandford Appraisal Co., volunteerism.
- Blodgett, Edith Irwin (Mrs. John): 1994, Early life in Grand Rapids, World War II years, G.R. Symphony years, Blodgett Hospital. Transcript.
- Bradshaw, Margaret (Mrs. Conrad): 1994.
- Brink, Norma: 1996, Growing up in Grand Rapids, teacher and principal in GRPS, development of Circle Theater. Transcript.
- Byrd, Mary Lou, M.D.: 1993, First anesthesiologist at Butterworth Hospital, Transcript.
- Cady, Mary Jane: 1995, reporter, columnist for G.R. Herald, years in Army during W.W. II, development of World Affairs Council. Transcript.
- Cary, Ara (Mrs. John): 1989, Social work, Child Guidance Clinic, Historic Preservation. Transcript.
- Claytor, Helen Jackson: 1990, YWCA, African-Americans. Transcript.
- Comet, Catherine: 1998, Conductor of the Grand Rapids Symphony. Transcript.
- Deming, Emily: 1990, Butterworth Hospital Nursing School. Transcript.
- Dockery, Mary Jane: 1994, Development of Blandford Nature Center, years as director. Transcript.
- Garver, Betty: 1996, Career with Kent County Library System. Transcript.
- Geha, Suzanne: 1996, Career as a TV newswoman and anchor for WOOD TV. Transcript.
- Gill, Lillian: 1995, activities, locally and nationally, with NAACP, active in Civil Rights Movement, Transcript.
- Grigware, Mary: 1989, an invention and its marketing. Transcript.
- Grissen, Lillian: 1996, career in Christian education as an editor, as well as teacher, development of Pine Rest, Wedgewood Acres, Transcript.
- Hammersma, June: 1999, Calvin College, January Series.
- Hill, Harriet: 1998, Career in police department. Transcript.
- Horowitz, June: 1998, Born in 1913, family came to Grand Rapids in 1916, majored in Mathematics at the University of Michigan, became a teacher at Grand Rapids Junior College. Her father was a magician and Mrs. Horowitz stated in magic when she was nine years old, personal recollections.
- Hoyle, Margaret Porter: 1990, tells of family coming to Grand Rapids area in 1840's and their role in settling present day Wyoming. Teacher at South H.S. and G.R.J.C. Transcript.
- Jona, Marvel Ritter: 1991, helped with immigration of Latvian displaced persons into Grand Rapids area in 1950's. Transcript.
- Judd, Dorothy Leonard (Mrs. Siegel): 1980, Michigan Constitutional Convention.
- Kindel, Mary Harvey (Mrs. Thomas): 1990, Nursing school committee at Blodgett Hospital, one of founding members of Planned Parenthood. Transcript.
- Krissoff, Sylvia (Mrs. Abe): 1998, Art in Grand Rapids, as a reporter and a professional artist. Transcript.
- Lathrop, Marion Bertsch Gray: 1990, prominent in the field of medical Social Work. Transcript.
- Mueller, Nancy Palmer: 1996, beginnings of G.R. city planning, establishment of Our Hope, a halfway house for women with substance abuse problems. Transcript.
- Mulnix, Nancy: 1994, Establishment of Alexander Calder stabile with grant from National Endowment of the Arts. Transcript.
- Newman, Dorothy: 1994, Active in labor unions, Democratic Party.
- Orr, Nancy: 1998, Active in real estate business in Grand Rapids.
- Perkins, Shirley: 1994, Youth, education, career in teaching, the Grand Rapids Study Club.
- Pinsky, Jeralyn: 1999, Director of local theatre productions, acting experience, growth of Actors' Theatre, theater in Grand Rapids.
- Roelofs, Barbara: 1989, Development of Heritage Hill. Transcript.
- Rosenweig, Dora (Mrs. Leonard): 1996, early life in Detroit Jewish family, involvement in the arts, council of Christians and Jews, Transcript.
- Sims, Ella: 1994, early member of office of Economic Opportunity and Kent County Community Action Program, Transcript.
- Spencer, Leona: 1995, years working for betterment of children's lives through DSS, volunteer activities at First Community Church, better community relations. Transcript.
- Starr, Myrtle Bixler: 1989, Teaching school, YWCA, life during the Great Depression.
- Thiel, Sister Agnes C.: 1999, Marywood Academy, White House Conference.
- Weber, Sister Agnes: 1996, education at Aquinas College, Director of Eastown Project, Greater GR Housing Authority, St. John's Home, Emeritus College at Aquinas College. Transcript.
- Wolfe, Joan: 1997, Formed West Michigan Environmental Action Council. Environmental Protection Act in 1970s. Appointed to State DNR by Governor Milliken. Transcript.
- Wright, Wilhelmina: 1998, social worker, working with families, description of life as a black in white communities. Transcript.
Above interviews are available at the Local History Dept., Grand Rapids Public Library.