Local Women in the news 100 years ago this Month
The Grand Rapids News reported on June 12, 1915, that construction was about to commence on the Woman’s Home and Hospital, finally. Several years earlier, Caroline Bertsch had donated the land on East Fulton just east of Carlton for this purpose. Plans had been drawn up and an artist’s rendition was pictured in the Grand Rapids Herald back on February 19, 1911. The Women’s Home and Hospital, formed in the 1890s, was first located on 135 Bostwick NE, but they were out growing that space even with the1899 addition.