Read articles with discussions around Title IX in the Greater Grand Rapids area.
Women in Military Service
Read about women in the military form the Greater Grand Rapids Women’s History Council’s oral history collection.
Rediscovering Merze Tate
Kalamazoo journalist Sonya Bernard-Hollins gave a presentation titled, Rediscovering Merze Tate: A Remarkable African-American Woman who grew up in our own Backyard.
Click below to read a The Rapidian article written by GGRWHC board member, Sharon Hanks and a follow-up article about the Women’s History Month (March 2014) program on the life of Merze Tate. The program was co-sponsored by the GGRWHC and the Grand Rapids Study Club.
The following links provide further information about the life and times of Pearl Kendrick and her many accomplishments.
Women’s History Links
- Accessible Archives: Exploring Women’s History in America
- Benzie’s Area Women’s History Project
- Michigan History Links
- Michigan Museums Association
- Michigan Women’s Hall of Fame
- Michigan Women’s Historical Center
- National Women’s History Museum
- National Women’s History Project
- “River City…Furniture City…Suffragette City?” (Grand Rapids Magazine)
- Women’s History Project of Northwest Michigan
- Worchester Women’s History Project
- Grand Rapids Historical Society
- Grand Rapids History: Grand Rapids Historical Commission Archive
- Gerald R. Ford Library and Museum
- Great Lakes History Conference
- GVSU Kutsche Office of Local History
- Heritage Hill Neighborhood Association
- The Grand Rapids Public Library
- The Public Museum of Grand Rapids
- The Voigt House Museum
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society
Women’s Studies Programs
- Aquinas College Jane Hibbard Idema Women’s Studies Center
- Calvin College Gender Studies
- Eastern Michigan University Women’s and Gender Studies
- Ferris State University Women and Gender Studies
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Valley State University Women and Gender Studies
- Hope College Women’s Studies
- Michigan State University Women and Gender Studies
- University of Michigan Women’s Studies
- Wayne State University Women’s Studies